Grandma’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe – Best Fried Chicken Ever
Grandma’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipe is a classic Southern dish. This recipe has been passed down for years and has always been a hit in our home. Her buttermilk fried chicken recipe is one of her most famous recipes, and I was determined to share it with you.
This is the recipe my Grandma made when I was growing up. She called it “Grandma’s Fried Chicken,” and I love to eat it, too.
In this post, we’ll walk through the steps to making Grandma’s buttermilk fried chicken.
How to Enjoy Grandma’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken
There are many ways to enjoy buttermilk fried chicken, but here are a few simple ideas to get you started. Make sure to use fresh buttermilk. This buttermilk is made from pasteurized milk and contains no additives or preservatives.
It has a rich, tangy flavor and makes a wonderful dipping sauce. Ensure your chicken is cut into thin strips before frying. The thinner pieces absorb the batter faster, resulting in a crunchier crust.
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 2 Cup Whole Milk
For Fried Chicken:
- One Whole Chicken Cut into 7-8 Pieces
- 2 Cup Buttermilk
- One Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Flour or breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Cup Crispix Cereal
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Thyme
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Teaspoon Rosemary
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Sage
- Salt according to taste
Step 1: Buttermilk Preparation
- First, put your 2 cups of fresh and whole milk in a heat-resistant glass or ceramic jar.
- Then add 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar into the milk. -Now, stir well so that you get a curdy texture.
- Then, heat the mixture for 50-60 seconds in a microwave oven. Yee! Your buttermilk is ready.
Step 2: Marination
- Take a polythene bag and put the chicken pieces there. Ensure one chicken piece at a time.
- Then add Salt, 1 teaspoon Paprika, 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Peper, 1 Teaspoon Black Peper, 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Thyme, 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Oregano, 1/4 Teaspoon Rosemary, 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Sage into the bag and mix well.
- Add buttermilk and shake well until the chicken is well marinated and thoroughly coated.
- Do the same with all chicken pieces.
- Close the polythene bags tightly and refrigerate them overnight.
- So, you have come up with finishing marination.
Step 3: Seasoned Flour Preparation
- Now is the time to prepare seasoned flour. In a large mixing bowl, take 2 cups of flour.
- Add mentioned amounts of salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and white pepper into the flour and mix it well.
- Take the chicken pieces from the bags, remove buttermilk, and dredge them in the seasoned flour. Ensure that the whole part of the chicken pieces is coated with flour.
Step 4:Deep Frying
- I use a deep fryer for this dish. If you want to make a juicy, well-cooked, moisture, and rich flavored chicken, use a deep fryer instead of a skillet or microwave oven.
- First, plug your fryer in and turn the switch on. Pour oil into it and heat it until the oil temperature is 350'F to 375'F.
- Place your chicken pieces into the basket and close the lid of the fryer. Set the time for 13-15 minutes and wait.
- You will see that the chicken pieces are turning gold. Then open the lid and take off your deep-fried Grandma's Buttermilk Chicken.
Step 5: Serving
- It is time to serve your well-prepared chicken fries. Enjoy your Grandma's Buttermilk Fried Chicken with any preferable sauce or ketchup.